Thursday, October 8, 2009

Arrival of the Makerbot

Readers of my other blog about progress on my 1930's-era model railroad have heard about my experiences using CNC machines to try to build models. (Well, maybe not real CNC machines, but a scrapbook paper cutter from the fabric store.) I'm trying 3d printing, too, and ordered a Makerbot 3D printer.

Makerbot 216 just arrived at my house. Within an hour, the plywood pieces were being varnished. I'm a little impatient.

I'm using Watco Danish Oil, a combination varnish/stain. I've used this before for staining our 1960's house's paneling. It's easy to apply, and produces a smooth, shiny finish that seeps into the wood. You can also fix scratches by rubbing on more stain. I used Watco's "Natural" color with some extra tinting intended to match our house's paneling. Danish Oil is pretty easy to apply - you brush on the stain, put on a second coat 30 minutes later, and wipe any extra that hasn't soaked in. I'm coating all the pieces - not just the exterior panels, but all the small pieces as well. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment